Monday, September 27, 2010

Tombstones

I'm a big Halloween fan.  When I was searching for tombstones last year to decorate our own yard, I couldn't find anything that I liked.  Either they were too small, bad quality, or had the same cheesy sayings on them that I knew everyone else would have.  So I decided that we should make our own.  I found the instructions on Martha Stewart's website, and pretty much followed them as they were given.
http://www.marthastewart.com/how-to/tombstone-yard-halloween-decorations

The only real differences are we etched our sayings and scratches into the tombstone with an exacto knife, and used yellow and green to make a sickly looking moss rather green and red to make moss and rust effects.  Also instead of rebar my husband is drilling holes into them (as we speak, and I don't think that he minds getting a new power tool out of the deal), and he's inserting wooden dowels into them with glue (about 12 in. into the decoration with 12 extra in. that will go into the ground).  Then we will be sealing them with WATER-based polyeurathane which isn't necessary, but we have a good chance of getting snow in October, so I wanted to be extra prepared, especially since so much time went into these things.


These pictures are from last year.  I will make a post when they are completely finished, and placed outside.  I am thinking of adding lanterns on shepherd's hooks.  I also bought a pair of tattered hands coming out of the ground that reminded me of my husband (in a creepy way).  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment